Silvia Del Corso is an SEO specialist based in Isleworth and attends our Shepherd’s Bush group
I’ll try to provide clear and simple tips on how to get the best possible ranking for websites with the most useful keywords, which means better-targeted traffic, valuable leads and sales.
Here’s a small checklist of the 7 really necessary items:
- Content that Google can easily crawl. We want Googlebot’s spiders to be able to come to our pages, to understand the content, images and visuals or video, in a way that they are going to be able to index and consider relevant for some strategically chosen keywords. This first point is essential. Without it, none of the rest of this stuff even matters.
- Keyword research. Which words and phrases are searchers actually using to get answers to the problem that they are having? Your organisation and content can solve them, but you need to meet their need with those keywords. Possibly, a primary one and others, semantically related, not to be chosen randomly, but precise data at hand.
- What does Google consider to be the content that will answer this searcher’s query? Check it yourself: if you can find “holes” where no one has produced something, but you know people need the answer to it, fill the gap and that ranking position will be yours!
- Create content that’s going to serve the searcher’s intent better than anyone else on page 1. Link building and social sharing will then naturally happen.
- Write a compelling title, meta description. How Google displays your result determines whether people want to click on your listing or someone else’s. If you can optimize this, both from a keyword perspective, with the words and phrases that people want, and from a click attraction perspective, you can win twice because click-through-rate is a signal of engagement that tells Google Rankbrain that your content is to be displayed better than many competitors of yours.
- Optimize the page to load as fast as possible and look great on any device. From a user experience perspective, does your content make your audience happy, in an easy way, on every device, at every speed, and secure (meaning HTTPS), too?
- Amplify. Have a list of people and publications to earn backlinks and social media mentions from, so that your content can be seen by Google’s crawlers and by human beings as highly relevant and high quality.
If you manage to follow this checklist, you’re going to rank very well in 2018. If you need my help at any point, just contact me and I’ll be back to you in no time!