Engagement on social media – This blog outlines some ways of increasing your engagement on your social media channels.
First of all – what is engagement?
Engagement is something of a ‘holy grail’ for social media! Engagement means likes, comments, and shares on your posts – an active action from one of your followers.
Reach is something often talked about – reach is the number of times your post is seen. So not acted upon, just seen.
What is a good engagement rate?
- 0.5 – 0.99% is average
- 1% and over is good
- 1-3.5% is good
- 3.6-6% is high
- 6+% is amazing!
These figures are small, aren’t they? Don’t let small numbers discourage you! Having fewer followers but followers of the right type is better
SPECIFIC TIPS FOR INCREASING ENGAGEMENT ON INSTAGRAM
- Use stories! They are a very engaging part of Instagram and a place to share your personality. Click here to find a full guide to using Instagram stories
- Video – embrace video as much as possible. Don’t be scared of it – our blog features various guides to help you – read them here. Videos are a great way to build engagement and share ‘you’ with your audience.
- Repost – sharing posts on Instagram is a way to interact with others and build relationships. This in turn builds engagement. You have to use a third-party app – you can find it on the App Store – click here for info. Once downloaded it’s a process that takes a minute.
- Hashtags are a way of getting involved in other people’s conversations. http://best-hashtags.com is a great website to research which hashtags you should be using.
SPECIFIC TIPS FOR INCREASING ENGAGEMENT ON FACEBOOK
- Ask questions! Use Facebook’s poll function – this is a great way to get talking to your fans and has some fun. To add a poll:
Click Write a post… at the top of the Page.
Click then select Poll.
Type the question you want to ask.
Click Option 1 or Option 2 and enter the options for your poll. …
Click or add a photo or GIF to your options.
- Groups are HUGE on Facebook. Finding geographical groups, industry-specific, lifestyle-led – you could suddenly have access to thousands of members. Engage, and get to know others.
- Go LIVE! Be present on your page with ‘the real you’. I am a believer that your authentic voice needs to come through as much as possible and there’s no better way to do this than going live!
- Post less! Less is more with Facebook. Don’t feel the pressure to keep posting and slogging away to get engagement – this will saturate your audience. Give your content more thought, ask questions and give the post room to breathe. Your engagement will grow.
Think of your social media as you would your networking and you won’t go far wrong!
About The Author
Social Media Expert
One to Three Marketing